The transport of animal/wildlife into Botswana requires a permit. The permit is necessary to restrict movement of animals/wildlife into Botswana. Those interested in the permit must contact the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) licensing office at the Department of Wildlife and National Parks for guidance regarding import and export of CITES controlled species. This permit covers land and air modes of transport. Exotic species are not allowed to be imported to Botswana. The service is mostly used by Game Ranchers.
Citizen and Non-Citizen
- Complete, and submit the Animal/Wildlife Import application Form together with supporting documentation.
- A physical examination of the animal at the border or entry point of the country.
- Export Permit from country of departure
- Certified Copy of National Identity Card (Omang)
- Certified Copy of Passport
- Physical Examination report of Animal before export
- Contact details from country of departure
The prices differ according to the animal products and species as per Wildlife Conservation and National Parks Act of 1992.
Department of Wildlife and National Parks
Plot 50380 Moedi House, Fairgrounds
Tel. (+267) 3971405
Fax. (+267) 3180775
Email: dwnp [at] gov.bw
Opening Hours: 07:30 to 12:45 and 12:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except on Public Holidays.