Citizens of Botswana who wish to renounce their citizenship can submit an official request to the Government to de-register from the national civil registry.
All citizens of Botswana who meet the following criteria qualify for the service:
- Has acquired citizenship of another country
- Must be over 21 years of age
In order to access this service, applicants must follow the following steps:
- Provide proof of citizenship from another country
- Complete and submit Form R Declaration of Renunciation/Abandonment of Citizenship of Botswana, required documents (listed below) and BWP 10.00 to any Immigration Office (address provided below)
- Wait for proof of renunciation letter from Botswana Immigration Offices
- After receipt of proof of renunciation, surrender Botswana documents (National identity card and Passport to your nearest Immigration Offices or Mission)
- Two(2) recent coloured passport size photos
- Complete a Certificate of Origin form obtained from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship
- Proof of citizenship from another country
- Police report from foreign country with the applicant’s finger prints
- Certified copy of birth certificate or affidavit in lieu of birth certificate
- Certified copy of parent’s citizenship status
This service takes approximately one (1) month to complete.
The cost associated with this service is BWP 10.00.
Opening hours: 7:30 to 12:45, and 13:45 to 16:30, Monday to Friday, except public holidays.