The Ministry of Tertiary Education, Research Science and Technology exists to provide and build knowledge and innovation through the development and implementation of Policy on Tertiary Education, Research, Science and Technology to transform Botswana in to a knowledge based society through effective stakeholder collaboration.
- Corporate Services (CS)
- Department of Tertiary Financing (DTEF)
- Radiation Protection Inspectorate (RPI)
- Department of Research, Science and Technology (DRST)
- Department of Teacher Training and Technical Education (DTT&TE)
Botswana National Commission for UNESCO
- Botswana Institute for Technology, Research & Innovation (BITRI)
- Botswana Innovation Hub (BIH)
- Human Resource Development Council (HRDC)
- Botswana Qualifications Authority (BQA)
- University of Botswana (UB)
- Botswana Open University (BOU)
- Botswana International University of Science and Technology (BIUST)
- Botswana Accountancy College (BAC)
The Department of Corporate Services coordinates a wide range of administrative resources and support services to enable the Ministry of Tertiary Education, Research, Science and Technology to deliver on its mandate. The Department is responsible for performing the following functions:
- Human Resource Management
- Finance and Accounts Management
- Records Management
- Strategy Management
- Training and Development
- Health and Safety
- Procurement and Project Management
- Ministerial Tender Committee
- Public Relations
- Internal Audit
- Legal Services
- Information Technology Services
Radiation Protection Inspectorate
The Radiation Protection Inspectorate administers the safe use of atomic energy and nuclear technology. The Department is responsible for the following sections and functions:
Licensing and Inspections
- Issue licenses and registration certificates to facilities using nuclear technology,
- Issue Import and export permits for Radiation sources,
- Register and maintain register of all radiation workers and sources in Regulatory Authority Information System (RAIS) Database,
- Assess applications for authorization to use, posses, transfer, sell, use, and manufacture, import/export of any radioactive substances or sources, and
- Conduct regulatory inspections of facilities using nuclear and radiation materials.
Instrumentation and Standards Division
- Procurement, repair and calibration of all nuclear instruments,
- Commissions nuclear and radiology installation facilities,
- Certifies radiation compliance equipment,
- Educates Radiation Safety Officers (RSOs) in the public and private sector on care and maintenance of nuclear instruments,
- Conducts fatal accident inquiries relating to instrument failure.
Environmental Monitoring and Nuclear Waste Management
- Carries out environmental audits of facilities that use radioactive sources and recommend corrective measures,
- Liaise with environmental organizations on issues of environment protection,
- Carries out environmental impact assessment reports of nuclear facilities and advise on feasibility of establishing such facilities,
- Educates users and public on nuclear waste hazards,
- Inspects near surface and on surface nuclear waste disposal facilities to ensure compliance with basic safety standards,
- Formulates standards classification of waste with waste management institutions in order to avoid unsafe disposal of nuclear waste.
National Dosimetry Laboratory
- Offer personnel radiation monitoring to occupational exposed workers and also offers environmental monitoring,
- Reports monthly doses and immediately alert end users of any deviations.
Department of Research, Science and Technology
To provide leadership in science and technology in Botswana through the provision of enabling policy and legislation and the coordination of science and technology activities in the country.
Key service areas of this department include:
- Policy and Legislation
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Science and Technology Information
- Planning and Forecasting
- Data Management
Department of Tertiary Education Financing
To implement and monitor Tertiary Education Financing Policy and Sponsorship guidelines for post-secondary candidates education and training to support technical and manpower needs of the country.
- Award of sponsorship to students for both local and external training,
- Arranging for students to take pre-requisites for entry to institutions outside the country,
- Facilitation of placement of students in institutions outside the country,
- Facilitation of placement of special needs students,
- Facilitates signing of memorandum agreement between Government and sponsored students
- Administration of sponsorship,
- Re-instatement of students who have once terminated due to poor performance.
Disbursement of Funds
- Facilitates payment of students tuition and allowance,
- Administration of students’ bank accounts.
Career Guidance and Counselling
- Provides career guidance and counselling services to sponsorship beneficiaries,
- Provision of Social welfare services.
Monitoring and Evaluation of Students Performance
- Monitors and evaluates students’ academic performance to facilitate informed decision on sponsoring students.
- Prepares expenditure and bills for sponsorship beneficiaries,
- Manages recovery of funds from sponsorship beneficiaries,
- Makes follow up with sponsorship beneficiary defaulters,
- Facilitates litigation with sponsorship beneficiary defaulters.
- Manages service level agreements with training institutions.
- Manages contracts with health insurance providers of students studying outside the country.
- Manages contracts with insurance covers for students studying outside the country on work related attachment.
- Manages contracts with financial institutions services for funds disbursement to students.
Department of Teacher Training and Technical Education
The department exists to provide Teacher Training and Technical Education, delivered through technical colleges and teacher training colleges.
Teacher Training Colleges
- Tlokweng College of Education
- Tonota College of Education
- Molepolole College of Education
- Serowe College of Education
- Botswana College of Engineering and Technology
- Oodi College of Applied Arts and Technology
- Francistown College of Technical and Vocational Education
- Gaborone Technical College
Botswana National Commission for UNESCO
Botswana National Commission for UNESCO operates as a mirror image of UNESCO in Botswana. It is responsible for coordinating implementation of UNESCO mandate across UNESCO`s areas of competence (Education, Natural Sciences, Social and Human Sciences, Culture and Communication and information.
Ministry of Tertiary Education, Research, Science and Technology
Private Bag 00517
Block 6 building, Government Enclave
Fax. 392 5166
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/tertiaryEducationBotswana/
Chief Public Relations Officer
Tel. (+267) 367 4502
Principal Public Relations Officer I
Tel. (+267) 365 5404
email. botsamote [at] gov.bw