In order to operate a private security services company in Botswana, citizens must first apply and register a company with the Companies and Intellectual Property Authority (CIPA) with the word SECURITY included in the company name for them to apply for the Private Security Services Licence. Determination to issue the licence is made by the Private Security Services Licensing Board.
A person who wishes to perform the duties of a security guard should make an application for a Security Guard Certificate with the Private Security Services Licensing Board.
Categories of Private Security Services to be licensed are Security Guard Services,Specialist Security Services,Close Protection Services,Electronic Security Services,Private Investigator Services and Security Advisory Services.
- Only citizens of Botswana with no criminal record can apply for a licence to operate a private security services company as a Director.
- Directors of a private company should register with CIPA .
- A valid national Identity Card (Omang)
- Companies which fail to comply with BURS requirements such as submission of Tax Returns are not considered.
- Fill and submit original copies of the completed application forms and supporting documentation (outlined below) for vetting at Ministry Headquarters in person.
- Once the application has been processed and vetted, applicants are notified by telephone whether they are successful or unsuccessful.
- The licence expire annually and it is the duty of the licence holder to apply for a renewal by submitting the above specified documents.
Batswana applying for a private security licence must present certified copies of the following documents:
- Certified copy of a valid National Identification card (Omang).
- Certificate of Incorporation or Business Registration certificate and tax clearance certificate.
- List of company Directors
- Set of finger prints (available at any police station).
- Curriculum Vitae(CV) of each Director.
- Passport sized photograph.
- Form A: Application Form.
- Form B: Statutory Declaration by Application as to Conviction.
- Completed Security Clearance Form.
- Evidence of operating systems.
Approximately 4 months.
- Upon successful processing of a Private Security Services Licence application, applicants must pay a fee of BWP 1000.00 when collecting the licence.
- Annual renewal fees amount to BWP 500.00.
- Licence holders who fail to renew their licences before the expiry date will be liable to a fine not exceeding BWP 50,000.00.
Ministry of Defence,Justice and Security Headquarters,Gaborone